Toxic Algae Reported at Las Vegas’s Lake Mead

Brian Nettles, Esq.

A blue-green growth at several popular spots of Lake Mead National Recreation Area may be toxic algae.

The colorful algae was discovered last month, but only recently became a concern after tests revealed the presence of microcystin, a toxin. No

Attorney Brian Nettles

Attorney Brian Nettles

area of the lake has been closed to the public, but the National Park Service warns that people and their pets should stay out of the water.

Microcystin can cause a variety of illnesses, from skin rashes to gastrointestinal issues. If you come into contact with the blue-green algae, rinse thoroughly with clean water. If accidentally ingested, contact your doctor.

Lake Mead supplies an estimated 90 percent of the city’s drinking water. Thankfully, advanced water treatment will purify any water headed to the Southern Nevada Water Authority. To that end, reports say this “bloom” isn’t as bad as the one that turned Lake Mead green in 2001…

All information cited from LV Review-Journal. 

Add Comment